Friday, May 7, 2010

A Funny Combination

My Life Story -3



I'm a funny combination. I'm half Turkish and half Greek. It's pretty amazing how I have two great cultures in my family. My mother's side is from Crete Island, which is the largest and most populous of the Greek islands and the fifth largest island in the Mediterranean Sea.



They were my mom's grandma and grandpa from Crete. My great grandma was such an important person for me. When I was growing up, she was the person telling me about Crete Island and great stories about Knossos Palace with a broken Turkish. After settling in Turkey, they kept their Cretan Greek just at home, and tried to speak Turkish. I remember while I was growing up, the woman family members of my family used to speak Greek, while they were gossiping. My grandpa was so strict about using one language at home and it was Turkish.

In this picture you can see my mom's parents.

So now lets look at my father's side, they were from Uzbekistan. They settled in istanbul after they moved to Turkey almost a century ago. My father was only 7 years old when his father passed a way.


After my grandpa passed a way, my grandma lived with my aunt and sent my father to a boarding school. He never received the love from his mother and he searched for it his entire life. He tried to keep his loving relationship with his mom, even when I was growing up.
So after this photo summary let me explain how this start effected my life. My mothers side was from Crete and they always had and still have a close relationship; a big family, lots of food and lots of love. My fathers side was always cool, distant, and didn't have many family connections. So as you can imagine it was the biggest conflict in my family. A huge conflict...
But that's it for today. See you tomorrow!


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment